A landscape painter born 1851 in Wellington, Shropshire, the fifth son of the portrait painter William Lawson. Taught by his father, he moved to London in 1861, and travelled to Holland, Belgium and France in 1874. The high point of his career came in 1878 with ‘The Minister’s Garden’. Settled at Wrotham in Kent and married Constance Philip, the flower painter, in 1879. His health deteriorated and he moved first to Haslemere and then to the French Riviera in 1881, where he died.